Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Listen Up! A Certain Slant of Light

I realize that this is the Bush "readers" Blog but I am struggling to find time to read! So, I picked up an audio book at the Bush Library and listened to it while I was driving to and from work.

A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb was mesmerizing. As one ghost (light) meets another who has taken over a human's body (quick) fall in love I found myself sitting in my driveway at home simply clamouring for what would come next.

Helen and James fall in love as passionately and purely as possible while they inhabit the bodies of two lost souls that attend the same high school. After their first romantic encounter I continued to wonder - could she possibly be pregnant? As the book reaches its peak, Helen, alone in the bathtub, contemplates the value of life -- I was shocked to find the answer to my question.

The books is incredibly well written and I found myself quoting the intricate and descriptive writting. The reader of the audio book delivers a haunting performance as well.

2 comments:

Lindi said...

I completely concur with Rebecca. I could NOT put this book down. As Helen made her choices, I couldn't imagine what the consequences would be, and yet the story unfolded absolutely correctly. A very surprising and beautiful book, about the nature of love and fear. I'm glad to hear that the audio book is just as good.

Myri Hale said...

I love this book, its been a while since i read it. but i remember it was very good. I finished it in a night (er, and morning...)

-Myri Hale