Monday, June 17, 2013

A Cautionary Tale

Stop the presses! I'm actually reading a non-fiction book!

Yes, you read that right. Me, Lindi, who is a confirmed fiction lover and non-fiction hater, is reading Founding Brothers: The Revolutionary Generation, by Joseph Ellis, and what's more? I'm enjoying it.

It all started innocently enough with watching Paul Giamatti and Laura Linney in John Adams, the HBO mini-series. They claim it's based on the biography by David McCullough, but it's not a documentary, so that's safe, right? They are big Hollywood names; it's HBO. (Of course, I know to beware PBS and the History Channel!) I thought it would be more like that old Kevin Kline/Tracey Ullman comedy, I Love You to Death, based on a real-life Pennsylvania couple's story; i.e., the skeleton of truth is there, but it's fleshed out so that it's actually fun to watch.

Which is how I found myself addicted to John Adams. Little did I know it was a gateway drug, leading me to late-night forays into Wikipedia to check facts and before I knew it, there I was skulking in 973.3 for something to take home for the summer. I'm so ashamed.

Young people, be forewarned: you too may find yourselves reading something you never imagined you'd read for pleasure!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

This is somewhat concerning, as I am the designated nonfiction reader in the crew. I recently tried fiction again, but was disappointed. :(

Lindi said...

It's okay. I didn't finish it, and am firmly back in the fiction aisle!