Thursday, November 13, 2014

Book Fair!

It's day two of The Bush School's semiannual book fair. Our amazing volunteer chairman, Julie P., works with the incomparable University Book Store to provide a huge selection of great books for all ages. I'm going up in a few minutes to do a little holiday shopping, but it has gotten me to thinking about buying books.

When my children were young, I bought books all the time. I always attended the public library sales, we scoured the second hand stores, and no gift-giving opportunity was complete without beautiful new books. I love books. I love the look, the feel, the smell. I want to own them. I've been known to buy copies out of recognition and pity. "Oh! I love this book! No one will find you here and appreciate you like I can!" (Said at Goodwill or some sketchier thrift store.)

Now, however, the kids are grown and have moved out (taking some of their books with them). It's just the husband, me, and many linear feet of books that seldom get opened. I have had to re-evaluate my book buying habits. Unless it's a book I know I'll read again, I seldom buy it. I figure that's what libraries are for.

So who am I shopping for? Luckily I have many young people in my life and I continue to believe that a child just can't have too many stories in their life. Actually none of us can, although adults have more mobility and can get out to bookstores, libraries, plays, movies. But kids -- they need choices close at hand.

Hmm, let's see. Maybe Boys in the Boat for the high-school boy, and one of the Bone books for the second grader. Now, what about those toddlers?




No comments: