Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Tamora Pierce

Yay, Mrs. Brown and Lindi for keeping the dream alive. Let's keep on posting.

I'm focusing right now on fiction that features strong girls/women but that aren't romances. I'm not interested in coupledom at the moment. The Tiffany Aching books are great for that. I'm just finishing Wintersmith, and although it's not as laugh-out-loud funny as Wee Free Men, I think it's in many ways more thought-provoking.

I haven't been a big Tamora Pierce fan, but she certainly writes about non-romantic heroines. I just read the mammoth Terrior, the first of the Beka Cooper series (others haven't been published yet, but are planned). I don't care for the violence in this book, but I admired the tough young woman Beka (who is an ancestor of Alanna), persevering in her need to find the perpetrator of a series of child murders.

2 comments:

Mrs. Brown said...

Lisa, I care to differ with your statement that Tamora Pierce is all about strong women and not about couples. It's true that the stories don't center around the romance, but her writing is laced with romance. Also, Becka Cooper is not an ancestor of Alanna. She's the ancestor of George Cooper, the King of the Court of Rogue.

Lisa said...

Mrs. Brown, you are right. On both counts. My point with Pierce's characters is not that they don't have love or romance in their lives, but that their primary goal in life does not revolve around becoming half of a couple. They manage to maintain a degree of independence that I find encouraging. Thanks for your comments! :-)